Highlights of 2011 can be found throughout this annual report. Here are some of our key operational achievements:
- We added a fourth focus sector - Agribusiness, food & water. This will allow us to use and further expand our experience and expertise in this key sector, which we believe has a very high potential for development impact in terms of boosting food security and alleviating poverty.
- We maintained our focus on low-income countries. Some 44% of our portfolio is committed to these markets.
- We realized attractive private equity exits of our own portfolio companies and benefitted from various profitable exits in our funds portfolio. We completed 27 private equity investments, the majority of them direct investments.
- We upgraded and implemented new Client Risk Rating scorecards, validated by Moody's. The four new scorecards - Bank, Non-Bank Financial Institutions, Corporate and Project Finance - generate ratings comparable with those of S&P and Moody's, satisfy Basel requirements and enable us to use our capital more efficiently.
- Funding was further diversified, by issuing AUD and CAD-denominated bonds.
- We mobilized more third-party funds to emerging markets, in line with our strategic objective. We outperformed our target to mobilize US $500 million through syndicated loans, parallel loans and/or risk-sharing agreements.